Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Joy of Sharing Our Lives With Others



In a world where we are made to believe we are too busy, the skill of being  relational seems to be lost. We are so connected over phones and computers, that we fail to relate in an interpersonal way.  Everyone is ready to share what looks good on the forefront but being able to share in a relatable way is covered up. Unfortunately, we are less genuine as a side effect.



As an introvert, it's easy to find the comfort of  relating to others  from a distance made available in this modern world. Making plans for an upcoming get-together? Wanting to catch up with someone? Responding to someone's recent question? Just send an email or text. Speaking to each other with our voice has almost become non-existent and being together, even more lost. The demands of every day life make this way much easier. However, the big concern is over whether we can still share our lives or build closer relationships on a much deeper level.

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

When I'm busy with the kids and don't have a lot of quiet time around here, I struggle with knowing  what the best way to communicate is with others. Having someone over is often out of the question as I feel as though I am rushing around the kids to various activities and don't always have the time to be hospitable. At the same time, as an adult, I long for those moments to share my life on a deeper level  that is often missed because of both busyness and convenience.

Matthew 5:14-16 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your  good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

I love the lyrics to the song No Man is an Island by Tenth Avenue North that sums up much of what I believe many of us can honestly admit is a very real, yet serious problem. Loneliness can creep in when we hide our lives from others. We don't need to hide our lives from each other. We are made to  go through life together, not alone.


We miss out on opportunities to share our lives, open up to others, and be real when we hide behind a screen. We miss out on sharing our home, serving others, and being together when we fail to communicate on a deeper level. I struggle with this and I know other women do too. I intend to change that as I work on less digital communication and more face-to-face interactions. Who's with me?


No Man Is an Island lyrics:
"I see fear in your eyes
There's no safety here
Oh, my friend, let me in
I will share your tears
No man is an island, we can be found
No man is an island, let your guard down
Please don't try to fight me, I am for you
We're not meant to live this life alone."






                      

No comments:

Post a Comment