Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June Resources and Recommendations

I thought I'd share some of the things I've read in June that were worthwhile along with various fun finds. Feel free to check out these resources if you get a chance.




BOOKS:




Alone Yet Not Alone by Tracy Leininger Craven- This book is based on German immigrants by the name Leininger who settled in Pennsylvania. Life was hard but good until the French-Indian War hit their region. This family of faith relies on God and each other to make it through. It's an easy book to read that I read aloud to my children. They enjoyed the story line while also learning a valuable piece of history. Even more, it captures the truth that God never leaves us nor forsakes us. The family realized that they are truly never alone. Throughout there are colorful pictures from the movie being released to DVD later on this year. I highly recommend owning a copy of this book in your library if you have children.







Pages of History Volume 2: Blazing New Trails by Bruce Etter. This is another read aloud I've been doing with our family in the evenings this past month. It is full of rich history of America along with a fun story line of two boys, James and Lance, who travel along with a notebook through time. There are pictures of famous people in the past, maps, and diagrams throughout to help children identify what is being discussed in the story. There is so much good information and all pointing back to God that this makes an excellent history book. We are currently learning American history as a family and we found this to be an excellent resource.









EXCELLENT BLOG POSTS:

Rafiki Foundation: http://www.rafikifoundation.org/
I just heard about this foundation that helps children who have been orphaned in Africa by sending them to one of ten villages teaching them about the Bible, giving them an education, and caring for their needs. Like World Vision and Compassion, this foundation relies on support from monthly supporters. You can choose a child who you'd like to support and help them get the care that they need.

Racism and the Power of the Gospel: http://onethingalone.com/racism-and-the-power-of-the-gospel/
After what happened in Charleston that evening in the church, I think many people were left with wondering what is going on in our nation for people to still be full of such racism and hate. This blog discusses what believers must do and should do... we need to talk about it.

How to Live (and Parent) in a Society That Rejects Truth: http://www.generationcedar.com/main/2015/06/how-to-live-and-parent-in-a-society-that-rejects-truth.html
Upon hearing what the Supreme Court's decision was in regards to the definition of marriage, I was left with a lot of wondering about how things will go in the future for Christians. This post talks about what we as parents need to do to move forward.

Why My 10 Children Disagree With You About Getting Enough Attention: http://www.generationcedar.com/main/2015/06/why-my-10-children-disagree-with-you-about-getting-enough-attention.html
Written by the previous blog posted above, this was something that captured my attention with the title's name. As a mother of six, I've heard the questions and comments from those who think my children don't get enough attention from me. However, what they don't see is that I am with them all day. I play games with them individually and take them places individually as well. We read a lot together and I share all three meals with them each day. That is way more than a lot of people. This article shares a lot of how I feel and how my children feel as well. They love each other and don't feel like they are left with a lack of attention from us parents.

I Wish Someone Would've Warned Me About These Big Feelings:
http://community.today.com/parentingteam/post/i-wish-someone-wouldve-warned-me-about-these-big-feelings
I love Jen Hatmaker and her personality. She is an amazing Christian woman who has a great outlook on life. You will love this fun post to read!

Abiding Mom Vs. Super Mom: http://abidingmom.blogspot.com/p/abding-mom-vs-super-mom.html?m=1
We've all been there trying to be Super Mom. And we've all been there watching someone who resembles a Super Mom. But should we strive to be an Abiding Mom or a Super Mom. I love the chart that accompanies this post.

Hello, I Am An Idol : http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/hello-i-am-an-idol
Whoa, is this one an eye-opener!!!

The Only Decision That Matters: http://www.pastorwell.com/blog/2015/6/26/the-only-decision-that-matters
This gives encouragement and hope on the future, despite what the Supreme Court decided for the nation. I loved this line: "The first marriage was between a perfect man and a perfect woman. The last marriage will be between a glorified man, the Lord Jesus, and his sanctified bride, the church."

When It Is Feeble and Flawed: A Woman's Obedience to God:  http://www.nurseryofthenation.com/2015/06/when-it-is-feeble-and-flawed-womans.html
Oh, how I've felt this before. You know, the feeling like we aren't doing anything right in our spiritual walk. We feel like we aren't spending enough time with Him thinking we need to be perfect. But we don't need to feel this way. Bambi shares how no matter what kind of thoughts we've had or how we've been acting, we can still come to Him, flawed and imperfect.

FUN RESOURCES:



I ordered this from Etsy for my front door. I love it so much. It took about three weeks to arrive but I love how well made it is and how cute it looks too. https://www.etsy.com/shop/EllieBelliesSigns

I've been using Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer for probably five years. A small tube lasts forever and I am using it to cover my dark circles nearly every day. It may seem pricey at around $28 for a 0.2 oz container but it really does last a long time. It's the best concealer that I've found so that makes it worth it. You can find this at Sephora or Amazon. 

I ordered this shirt from Amazon a couple of months ago. I love the design and the message it displays. Go check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Frog-Shirts-Womens-Husband/dp/B00LEV5RPM/ref=sr_1_23?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1435723591&sr=1-23

Aren't these scripture cards cute? These can be found on Etsy from Shop On Purpose where the proceeds from her sales go to help people in need (adoptions, etc.).  https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShopOnPurpose


VIDEOS:

An oldie that is sure to make you smile. Why can't they make cartoons and shows like this anymore??? : 

This is my favorite song at the moment. Ellie Holcomb wrote it as she was pregnant for her child to remind her that no matter what, she is loved and God will always be there with her. That is the message I hope I get through to my children. 



You will be amazed at this beautiful arrangement. This hymn, Alone Yet Not Alone, goes with the book mentioned above and the release of the movie coming out soon. 



This is from the previous singer but I love this version as well. It gives me chills every time I hear it as I imagine needing my Savior. This is my favorite hymn and a song I often find myself singing often. I need God every hour. How about you? 





No comments:

Post a Comment