Sunday, July 19, 2015

When We Learn to Trust in God

There is a freedom and joy found in giving your very heart to God trusting in His path for your life. It's not always easy to think about the unknowns, the what-ifs, and the surprises that may pop up along the way. Knowing that no matter what, He has your back and doesn't intend to leave you EVER, brings such a deep satisfaction with less worry attached.



My husband and I have always felt a desire to grow a large family. We've had so many critics and comments along the way. People don't always agree with the decision that is made when we have another child. I know not everyone is destined to have a large family. Some families are small and some are made up of adopted children. Sometimes, life throws a hurdle and having a family isn't possible for everyone. We don't know what the future holds for us, but what we do know is that He put this desire in our hearts to raise children for His kingdom.

Currently, I am expecting our seventh child. It may be that this is the last one. It may be that He desires us to have another in the future. Often times, I've felt a nudge to even adopt someday. As far as we are concerned, God will lead the way. We can't worry and wonder about tomorrow. Yet, we can listen to His voice and follow what He speaks to our hearts.



This last week, we received news that our newest son will have a bilateral cleft lip and possibly a cleft palate as well. The previous week, at our first ultrasound, we didn't know what all that would entail. After getting the confirmed diagnosis, we were actually filled with an unbelievable love for this child. We know our son will require many surgeries and may have issues with feeding or speech in the future. Our son appears to have healthy organs as of now. We are so thankful to our Almighty God for blessing us with a child in a family who will love him unconditionally.

After presenting the news to our other children, they were completely understanding about this minor detail. They have no fear for him but love that only siblings can share. They smile at the thought of another sibling and playmate.





Our home is never quiet and immaculate. But that doesn't matter. It's a home filled with love, friendship, and an environment where everyone learns from one another constantly. We do things differently and that's okay. We don't live the way of the world. Instead, we are reckless Christians seeking grace and mercy in a place longing for Jesus.  

There are days that are tiring and I long for five minutes without someone crying outside the bathroom door. There are days where it seems that someone is always getting hurt. Then there are days when there are countless hugs, uncontrollable laughs, and a joy so deep, it's profound. This is the freedom I love and desire. This is fulfillment that is possible when we can walk upon the waters.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie! God definitely sent me to your blog today (I'm your FMF neighbor). I LOVE this:

    "My husband and I have always felt a desire to grow a large family. We've had so many critics and comments along the way. People don't always agree with the decision that is made when we have another child. I know not everyone is destined to have a large family. Some families are small and some are made up of adopted children. Sometimes, life throws a hurdle and having a family isn't possible for everyone. We don't know what the future holds for us, but what we do know is that He put this desire in our hearts to raise children for His kingdom."

    My husband and I both desired a large family. Our children were born in our hearts through adoption (4 blessings). We know our family is just the size God wants it to be. :) I'm so thankful for your perspective!

    Our youngest son has bi-lateral cleft lip and palate. We didn't bring him home until he was 3, so we didn't have to figure out the feeding issues, but we have gone through surgeries, including bone grafting. (he's 14 now). You can do it! God's blessings to you and yours!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful this blessed you, Christy! I think it's so wonderful that you have adopted four amazing blessings! I love the hearts of those who have adopted.

      And thank you for the encouragement about your youngest son. It's so refreshing to hear from others who've been through this process. Thanks again and have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. Carrie,

    Congratulations on your newest blessing! I'm so happy for you. You are always such a beautiful and radiant pregnant woman. Your whole family is beautiful.

    I wrote a lengthy comment on your previous post about your new baby, but I think it was somehow eaten by cyberspace, so I'll try again. Lol.

    Our oldest daughter was born with a cleft palate. We are so blessed by how God has worked in our lives through this. Her first year of life was a challenge, but we were encouraged by God's words to Moses, "Who made man's mouth? Is it not I?" (paraphrase of Ex. 4:11-12) God has not lost control or made a mistake. He has carefully watched over every aspect of your baby's development. He has great plans to bless the world through this child.

    Knowing in advance gives you time to prepare and plan. That's a blessing! I would suggest finding a pediatrician now who has worked with cleft-affected children before. Unfortunately, we received misguided information from medical personnel initially. It took us a while to find the right doctor. It was actually the lactation consultant who told us about the Haberman feeder. Before that, our poor baby was starving because she couldn't suck. She lost a whole pound in the first week and shrunk down to a preemie sized 5 lbs. There are great resources for children with clefts. Finding them in advance of the birth will be enormously helpful.

    I'm happy to share more if you are interested. Please call or write any time. Our prayer for our daughter was that she would someday use her mouth to praise God and tell others about Jesus. It's such a joy to see her sing on our church worship team. I often marvel at what the Lord has done for us.

    I know you may feel anxiety for what lies ahead for your precious child, but God's got this. He has great plans He's waiting eagerly to fulfill. I can't wait to hear how this beautiful story turns out!

    With Love,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Elizabeth! I never even knew that you experienced this with Abby. And knowing that you've had more children since is such a wonderful testimony! I love hearing that so much.

      I have not heard about the Haberman feeder but I have since googled it and saved it so that I could come back to it soon. Those pieces of advice are really helpful in what we'll need to plan for ahead of time.

      And yes! I am going to be contacting you about it. I sent an email over not too long ago. Oh, how thankful I am for your response and friendship too. The verse you shared is a great one. Love ya, friend!

      Delete